Wednesday 31 October 2012

Halloween Comics: Part TwooOOoo



Hello again, kiddies! Its only your old pal Lycanthropy Lee aka The Crypt Kipper here once again to raise your hairs and night your mares.

Previously, I unleashed the mighty Halloween Comics Blog Part One which was, like my scab collection, what I personally picked, but I also put a scream shout out on Twitter to see what my fellow fiends would recommend and like a zombie that hasn't had its brain destroyed here's what came shambling back...



*****

Lee Robson@lee_robson
Last year, I re-read Judge Dredd: Necropolis, if that counts. I might do it again this year. Oddly, I do know of a horror based comic coming out soon-ish, called Babble. Maybe you've heard of it...?

Mike Hell Burns @elblondino
I'll be reading the London Horror comics I got at Thought Bubble last year again. some great stuff in there. I'll also be re-reading the fantastic Lovecraft Anthology from @SelfMadeHero

Scary Jane Thompson@SallyThompson
I think a reread of Vera Brosgol's Anya's Ghost is called for!

Luke Foster@CartoonistLuke
Werewolf by Night!


P M Cannibuchan@PMBuchan
Video Nasties by Chris Doherty. I called it my horror graphic novel of the year 2011 at SCREAM: The Horror Magazine!


Stacey Whittle@stace_w
Damaged Goods! Anything at all by Cy Dethan. Gonna assume you've got Misty on there and the Lovecraft Anthologies?

Nicromancer W@NicWilko
Uzumaki - the only comic ever to make me feel physically sick for days. Another horror comic suggestion Bullet Proof Coffin and BPC Disinterred by David Hine. Creepiest thing I've read all year! Not to forget Unbelievable by Simon Wyatt (not only for the lovely lettering!) Not full on horror - but monsters aplently - and X'd Out and Black Hole by Charles Burns. Ok, I'll stop now.
Ok just one more... Self Made Hero's Lovecraft AnthologyMust mention Blood: A Tale by JM DematteisKent Williams as a vampire story with a difference. One of the first comics Cy showed me.

Cy Dethan@CyDethan
Definitely recommend David Hine's Bulletproof Coffin and Bulletproof Coffin Disinterred for anyone's Halloween reading list! Exquisite Corpse from Dark Horse. 3-issue serial killer story. Can be read in any order for different reading experiences.

Corey Brotherson ‏@CoreyBrotherson
Have you already got Bayou Arcana? Plenty of horror over/undertones...


Maura McHugh@splinister
Locke and Key. The Walking Dead. Róisín Dubh (cheeky, as that's mine!)


Andy Bloor@andybloor
The Walking Dead, Locke and Key and Garth Ennis' Hellblazer.

Laura Sneddon@thalestral
Rachel Rising, Ben Templesmith's Welcome To Hoxford, Blackgas, Pixu, The Drive-InJohnny The Homicidal Maniac, The Last Christmas. Maybe Jesus Hates Zombies? Ooh, and Severed. Also Twisted Dark. And Uzumaki and anything by Steve Niles. Not that I have a lot of horror comics or anything, ahem

Happy Hallowynne@davidwynne
Anything by Cy Dethan is an obvious choice. Other than that... hmm. ...er, From Hell, I guess? Richard Corben's Ragemoor? I'm so not a horror guy. Oh, just seen Cy recommend Bulletproof Coffin. I second that, strongly! Also, Strange Embrace.

Bloodless Noble@douglasnoble
The Furry Trap by Josh Simmons is a pretty essential read when it comes to horror comics right now...

Matthew Craig@TheMatthewCraig
Creator-owned but written by Jen Van Meter, I think, but The Blair Witch Project Comic (Oni). I could only read it once. *brr*

Andy DiGHOUL@andydiggle
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

Matt Gibbs@matthewgibbs
I do like to read V for Vendetta on November 5th, but don't really earmark anything for Halloween. Guess if I was to pick Halloween comics, I'd go for Hellblazer, the Lovecraft Anthologies and Springheeled Jack. And for more child friendly, Bevis Musson's Dead Queen Detectives and The Graveyard Cats.

Phlegmily Scare-All@emilyterrible
Here's one of my favourite Junji Ito comics, The Long Dream (reads right to left)

Vera Bones-Ghoul@verabee
This one. Holy crap. The Enigma Of Amigara Fault

Becky ClooOOooOonan@beckycloonan
If you can track down Hellboy: Heads, it's the creepiest Mike Mignola story I read. Floating heads! So good. [Heads can be found in Hellboy v4: The Right Hand Of Doom - Lycanthropy Lee] Also it's less comic & more world-building art book, but Al Columbia's Pim & Francie is super creepy.

Laura Trinder@xbirdyblue
I'm reading Jill Thompson's Scary Godmother and it's making me super Halloweenified!!

I Luv Halloween is so wrong in the right ways.












*****

There you go, kiddies, more than enough bleeding reading material to see you through the witching hours. Sincere fangs thanks to everyone who made an improper suggestion. If you have any fangtastic comics you want to recommend or review for us just eek-mail us or stalk us on Twitter. Until next time... night night, kiddies, don't let the buggers bite you!


|\        \|/       /|
(O)      (O)
/\
V"""V
"""""

No comments:

Post a Comment